Venue: Shimkent Room - Daneshill House, Danestrete
Contact: Lisa Jerome (01438) 242203 Email: email@example.com
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillor Tom Wren.
There were no declarations of interest.
To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the Community Select Committee held on 12 February 2019.
It was RESOLVED that the Minutes of the meeting of the Community Select Committee held on 12 February 2019 are approved for signature by the Chair.
To consider the performance to date against the 2018/19 SoSafe Community Safety Action Plan and the emerging priorities for the 2019/20 Plan and whether these align with the perceived priorities of local ward members
The Community Safety Manager presented a report setting out the agreed priority themes for 2018/19:
· Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)
· Safeguarding, Hate Crime and Domestic Abuse
· Modern Slavery and Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)
· Alcohol and Drug Related Crime and Disorder
· Knife Crime
· Scams and Fraud
The Committee was advised about the additional funding obtained by the Service and the successful partnership working undertaken including with North Herts District Council.
In response to a question about Silver Street Meets, officers agreed to provide upcoming dates to the Ward Councillor for St Nicholas.
Members sought clarification on the 2018/19 crime/ASB figures referred to in the report. Officers advised that as a result of the introduction of a new software system and a change in how data was reported there had been problems in receiving the information. Officers agreed to check the figures after the meeting and advise Members of any differences. They did advise, however, that the priorities were based on the priorities of the police, officers and members rather than the data received.
The Portfolio Holder for Communities, Community Safety and Equalities advised that she would raise the issue at the next police and Crime Panel meeting.
Officers advised the Committee of the efforts made by the Service to tackle anti-social behaviour and homelessness including the issue of using communal areas in tower blocks for rough sleeping and also the support and engagement with the known homeless people around the Town.
The Committee then watched a video showing aspects of the work of the Community Safety Team.
The Chair thanked the Community Safety Officer and her Team for their work and commitment in all aspects of the Service.
It was RESOLVED:
1. That the report is noted;
2. That the Community Safety Manager provides details about the crime statistics referred to in the report;
3. That the Community Safety Team be thanked for their hard work and congratulated on their achievements.
URGENT PART 1 BUSINESS
To consider any Part I business accepted by the Chair as urgent
EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS
To consider the following motions:
1. That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the ground that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as described in paragraphs 1 – 7 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act as amended by Local Government (Access to Information) (Variation) Order 2006.
2. That Members consider the reasons for the following reports being in Part II and determine whether or not maintaining the exemption from disclosure of the information contained therein outweighs the public interest in disclosure.
URGENT PART II BUSINESS
To consider any Part II business accepted by the Chair as urgent