The Committee considered a report in respect of the proposed draft Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles.
The Senior Environmental Health and Licensing Manager presented the report and, assisted by the Commercial and Licensing Manager, answered a number of questions raised by Members.
The following comments and amendments to the proposed Statement of Principles were made by Members:
· The Committee was concerned with the wording of introductory Paragraph A1.4 of the proposed Statement of Principles, which outlined some of the socio-economic factors in respect of the town. It was considered that, as there was no evidential link between this paragraph and gambling in the Borough, it was agreed that this paragraph be removed from the document;
· The Committee acknowledged that new Licence Holders would be required to submit local Risk Assessments in association with their licence applications. At the request of Members, Officers undertook to investigate whether or not it would be permissible to require existing Licence Holders to submit such Risk Assessments for their premises (possibly by sourcing Best Practice from other licensing authorities);
· Local Area Profile – Officers confirmed that it was the intention to develop such a profile during the life of the proposed Statement of Principles (2019 – 22), including socio-economic factors, in order to act as a guide which gambling operators could use when undertaking and preparing their local premises risk assessments; and
· Members requested Officers to provide them with details regarding a proposed promotional event on the Gambling Act to be held later in June 2019.
It was RESOLVED:
1. That the proposed Stevenage Borough Council Gambling Act draft Statement of Principles 2019-2022, attached at Appendix A to the report, and as amended, be supported.
2. That the Executive be requested to agree the Stevenage Borough Council Gambling Act draft Statement of Principles for onward recommendation to Council.