To consider and approve the draft Stevenage Design Guidance Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) 2021 for public consultation.
The Executive considered a report seeking approval of the draft Stevenage Design Guidance Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) 2021 for public consultation.
The Chair of the Planning & Development Committee summarised the views of that Committee on the SPD, made at its meeting held on 13 July 2021, as follows:
· An excellent externally-facilitated workshop on design had been attended by a number of Members of the Committee;
· Once adopted, documents like the SPD should be available via digital means, enabling Members to easily locate the latest versions;
· The need for site visits to other parts of the UK to view good urban design; and
· Debate on the Local Heritage List had centred on how buildings were allocated/added to that List.
The following comments were made by Executive Members:
· It was recommended that and All-Member Briefing on the Design SPD be held prior to public consultation, including further discussion on the Local Heritage List;
· In view of the size of the document, consideration should be given to a method whereby consultees could easily navigate around it;
· The SPD should contain a reference to the negative lessons learnt from the New Town heritage (such as Radburn layout housing);
· The SPD should also refer to the fact that Stevenage was comprised of self-contained neighbourhoods, based on New Town principles;
· The SPD should set out what would be expected of developers of new flat blocks in terms of their linkage and accessibility to green spaces in the town;
· The SPD should contain reference to the importance of fire safety in building design; and
· Officers were asked to bring the SPD, Local Heritage List; and the Stevenage Town Centre Public Realm Guide back separately when the SPD returned to the Executive following completion of the consultation process.
The Executive supported the recommendation for an All-Member Briefing on the SPD, and a deferral of the commencement of public consultation on the document until after it had been discussed at the All-Member Briefing, and no earlier than September 2021.
It was RESOLVED:
1. That the content of the Stevenage Design Guidance SPD 2021 be noted.
2. That delegated powers be granted to the Assistant Director: Planning and Regulation, following consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Regeneration, to make minor amendments as are necessary in the final preparation of the draft SPD prior to its consultation.
3. That an All-Member Briefing on the draft Design Guidance SPD 2021 be held at the earliest opportunity, and the Assistant Director Planning and Regulation, following consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Regeneration, be given delegated authority to determine the commencement of the consultation period on the SPD (no earlier than September 2021).
4. That the comments of the Planning & Development Committee, at is meeting held on 13 July 2021, regarding the content of the report, be noted and taken into account in the further work on the SPD.
Reason for Decision: As contained in report; and amended 3. To allow All-Member input into the content of the SPD.
Other options considered: As contained in report.