Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Executive considered a report providing an overview of the work undertaken, including public consultation, to develop a Stevenage Cycle Hire Scheme.
In reply to a series of Member questions, officers commented:
· Discussions would be ongoing with the operator regarding the programme/timescales for Phases 1A and 1B of the Scheme, with the intention of both phases being implemented as soon as practicably possible; and
· Officers were requested to liaise with Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) officers with a view to HCC providing a financial contribution to support the Scheme through use of Section 106/Community Infrastructure Levy funds.
A discussion ensued regarding the locations of the bike storage units and electrical charging points, and it was agreed that Ward Members should be consulted about these before any works commenced. It was suggested that it might be appropriate for an event to be held after the May 2024 Elections, in order that the views of newly-elected Members could be taken into account. This could take the form of an all-Member overview meeting, followed by individual area/ward meetings (similar to the Policing Priority meetings).
It was RESOLVED:
1. That the progress made in the Stevenage Cycle Hire Scheme and work undertaken by officers up to September 2023 (as set out in Appendices A, B, C, D, E and F of the report) be noted.
2. That the ongoing strategic direction and final steps for the Cycle Hire Scheme, to further develop the proposal for a scheme in Stevenage, be approved.
3. That it be noted that the comments of the Environment & Economy Select Committee have been sought and considered on the content of the report.
4. That it be noted that engagement with key stakeholders will continue, ahead of incorporating the Cycle Hire Scheme.
Reason for Decision: As contained in report.
Other Options considered: As contained in report.
Publication date: 09/02/2024
Date of decision: 07/02/2024
Decided at meeting: 07/02/2024 - Executive