Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Mayor announced that she has accepted an urgent motion for consideration at the meeting concerning the achievements of the England Football Team at the recent European Championships.
The Mayor drew Members’ attention to the fact that the Minutes of the Annual Council meeting held on 26 May 2021 were not on the agenda for the meeting due to a member of staff falling ill and not being able to complete them. However, she advised that the Summary of Decisions for the Annual Council meeting was on the SBC website, and that the finalised Minutes would be presented for confirmation at the next scheduled Council meeting in October 2021.
The Mayor summarised the activities that she and her consort had been involved with since the Annual Council meeting, which included:
· Photo shoot for the town’s time line mural;
· KFC community activists team Great Britain clean up;
· Attending the online Leslie Bedford Lecture 2021 (on all things aeronautical);
· The virtual Town Twinning Conference;
· Kadoma Link Garden Fete;
· Filming a message for the virtual Stevenage Day and attending the NHS, Social Care & Frontline Workers Day;
· Starting the Knebworth Park Half Marathon;
· Various school visits;
· The virtual unveiling of the underpass mural on Martins Way; and
· A visit to Leyden House (one of her Mayoral charities), a day centre for adults with learning disabilities;
The Mayor referred to the recent terrible weather in Belgium and Germany over the past couple of weeks and the associated tragic loss of lives and livelihoods. She announced that the Council had been in contact with the Mayor of Ingelheim (Ralf Klaus), Stevenage’s twin town in Germany, to enquire both if they had been affected and to offer them the Council’s sincerest condolences to those that had. Fortunately, Ingelheim itself had not been directly affected by the bad weather, but its Mayor was very touched by the Council’s concern for those affected.
The Mayor had the pleasure of presenting long service awards to Councillors Mrs Joan Lloyd (45 years’ service) and Margaret Notley (25 years’ service), and a number of members spoke in tribute to both councillors.
Publication date: 28/07/2021
Date of decision: 21/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 21/07/2021 - Council